Standalone mode?

Does the Garadget work on its own, i.e. without the web service provided by you guys?
I’m thinking of if your service went down, the company went bust or the boss decided to cut someone off for example… :slight_smile:

Additionally to the cloud connection, Garadget supports a local link to compatible home automation hubs via MQTT protocol. You can learn more about it in this thread:

Thanks,

Not sure if this requires a bit of programming or not.
Am I right in thinking the HomeAssistant (or broker) would be put on a local Pi device and be controlled by HA client on the phone? So 3 devices in the chain - Garadget, broker/MQTT component and phone/MQTT client?

f.

Yes, three elements chain:

• Garadget as MQTT client
  • Home Assistant as a broker or standalone MQTT broker on dedicated hardware like Pi or on any computer that runs continuously. I use Synology NAS for that.
  • Client app on the phone connected to home automation hub (typically via HTTPS/REST, not MQTT).

Thanks Denis,

I’ve just ordered the device.

Now I’m an IT guy but Linux-y stuff leaves me completely cold, so if you have anything that’s close to a working config for QNAP QIoT Suite and Home Assistant (or any other client, I’m not bothered) I’d be very grateful!

F.

The specs and working config for Home Assistant can be found in main MQTT thread:

If that doesn’t cover your situation, please post more details and we’ll all look at it.