IFTTT and Alexa not working anymore

Yup. No problems there.

What happens when you try to authorize the account with IFTTT or Alexa?

It appears I’m authorized OK. Here’s a screenshot of the log:

I’ve just recreated them and the applet “checks”. Still no action opening or closing. I noticed that the URL states https://api.particle.io**/v1/**devices/XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX Perhaps an earlier version?

This doesn’t look like it’s coming from Garadget’s Alexa skill.
If you prefer to use maker webhook service, you can try testing the requests separately using one of many online web requests builders. Most likely the authorization token got expired.

So, how do I renew the authorization token?

This post describes your setup including the way to get the current authorization token. Please let me know if updating it doesn’t solve the issue.

BINGO! The token had expired. I replaced it with the current one and we have lift-off! Many thanks, Denis.:slight_smile:

1 Like

Glad to hear that we got it sorted out.
Any reason for not using off-the-shelve Alexa skill?

Well, they both seemed to fizzle at the same time. So, I just started with the IFTTT thing first.

I have never managed to get the of-the-shelf skill to work. Whatever I say, in my New Zealand accent, the alexa says “sorry garageio is not installed”. I have tried “Garage-get” “Garage-It” “Garage-T” and lots of other variations. I have no idea how you Americans pronounce ‘garadget’ and I have given up trying. Come up with a name we can figure out how t pronounce.

I use the IFTT skill and that works every time, just a pain to have to say “trigger open garage door”

For the stock skill, try pronouncing with the “D” in it: garaDget [geredʐɛt]

So “gara” “D” “get” should work?

Yes, it works pretty reliably for me.

Expiring tokens are annoying. Is this something we always have to remind ourselves to reset every 90 days or is there a more permanent fix to avoid expiring tokens?

Garadget’s authentication was implemented to oAuth2 standard with the support support of refresh tokens - the mechanism intended for automatic token renewals.

I would expect more reports of this issue if everybody’s tokens were expiring on the regular basis. Please keep reporting and if this continues to be a problem, we’ll work on the solution.

My tokens have been expiring every 90 days, but I just updated it without reporting it. I believe the next 90 days is up in August, I’ll let you know if it expires then.

Thanks for the explanation on Garadget’s access tokens and oauth2. A couple days ago my token expired again, which must be about 90 days from my original post on this subject. At the time of my original post, I should have better described what I’m up to.

I think this problem is cropping up, because I’m using the Garadget plug-in for HomeBridge, which requires us to hard-code an access token into the plugin. Doing this must bypass the OAuth2 mechanism, right? We obtain the access token for the plugin <a href="https://community.garadget.com/t/using-garadget-in-ifttts-recipes/440>as described here.

Is the next step to request the developer of homebridge-garadget to support oauth2?

It is now possible to get a non-expiring token for your integration. Please see this page on how to use this feature. After that you can use the developer tools in your browser to extract the token as shown here.

Let me know if you need more help with this.