IFTTT failure with garadget item

Right, but before you get to applets, please visit the service page and click on “Edit Connection” to re-authorize it.

1 Like

Denis, you’ve done it again! That appears to have done the trick. Applet has been successfully re-installed. Everything looks good so I’m hopeful it will work when I leave and return again.

Thank you, as always, for your prompt and courteous service. :smiley:

1 Like

I had this issue a few weeks ago. First noticed it when Google assistant wouldn’t open the door. When I went into ifttt, it was unable to choose a door, so I just removed the garadget link and added it again, very unusual.

It was similar to my issues, for sure. Wouldn’t ‘see’ the door. But, when I deleted/re-added the applet it still wasn’t working. I had to logout of my IFTTT account and back in. Happened twice this year now - similar issues - so I hope it’s done.

“Logging” my most recent IFTTT experience. I noticed a few days ago that my proximity applet had stopped working. Sadly, it’s the same issue that I’ve experience 3-4 times this year now - IFTTT location based stops working and I then realize all garadget applets are no longer working.

I ended up deleting all garadget applets and then re-authorized my account (showed up as Test Account like others have mentioned) and then I turned the applets back on. It is much easier to activate them after being authorized (no need for tokens, etc.), but it’s still aggravating that this happens periodically.

There’s your current update. I’ll keep getting quicker on these fixes, assuming they continue to happen every months…

Thanks for the report. The authorization token must be expiring. There’s a way to generate the Particle token that doesn’t expire and this feature was added to the login form (see this post), I’ll check about incorporating the same into IFTTT’s authorization code.

1 Like

Hello again Denis. Right on cue, the IFTTT applets stopped working after about 90 days again. Happened in August, November and just a couple days ago. At least it’s consistent - every three months.

I’m getting a 404 error (when looking at the previously installed applets) or a Loading error (when trying to add a new one). I’m even on the same wifi network my Garadget.

Any suggestions? :frowning:

@abarbee314, thanks for your report.
Looks like this has to do with Particle’s default authorization tokens expiration of 90 days.
I’ll look into the code to make tokens generated for IFTTT non-expiring.

Meanwhile please try re-authorizing the service by clicking on “Edit Connection” in IFTTT’s account.

1 Like

Edit connection was what I needed. Got all of my applets running again. Thank you sir, as always.

2 Likes

@garadget just wanted to mention that I had to Edit Connection again today. That applet seems to strategically disconnect from the garadget service every 8-10 weeks or something.

@garadget
It’s been almost exactly 3 months again and my ifttt applet has disconnected from garadget again. I went into the settings and there is NO door showing for my services.

Unfortunately they changed their app and I can’t find “edit connection” in order to refresh my connection. Anyone have any ideas?

Denis, I have to assume there is something in the system that is timing out after about 90 days since this is very consistent.

The authorization token must be timing out at 90 days.
I do see the authorization link at: https://ifttt.com/garadget/settings

Thanks. Is there any way to remove the 90-day timeout from my end?

I still don’t see that same screen in the app, but I just went into the website and found the Edit Connection option. Thanks!!!

There was a change that was supposed to keep tokens valid indefinitely. I’m not sure if your last token was generated after that was in place. Let’s see if this happens again in 90 days and if it does, we’ll revisit the code.

Ok sounds good sir.

Well Denis it’s like clockwork: my IFTTT applet failed just now when I got home. I looked up this discussion and it was 3 months ago. The 90 day expiration is still happening.

@garadget continued follow-up: the service token for IFTTT has expired again at exactly 90 days. Same as it has for over a year now.

Thanks for the info. Not exactly sure why Particle tokens expire even though the auth request specifically calls for non-expiring tokens. I’ll have to take another look at the related code.

Sounds good, sir. :slight_smile:

Popping in again about the token expiration.

Exactly on cue it stopped worked yesterday, which is 3 months to the day from it stopped before. Thanks for checking in this Denis.