Fitbit OS App

Any chance that an app will be created for use on Fitbit watches similar to the Pebble version of the app?

• Merg

This is the first time Fitbit app is requested so it’s not high on the list.
I posted in their developer community, we’ll see if there is any interest to work on the app.

Cool.

Thanks,
Merg

Hi, I’m the guy who wrote the Pebble app.

I’ve not moved into Fitbit programming and I don’t really have time to do so, but I’d be happy to advise someone if they want to do the port.

The source code is already available, but I can provide it if you can’t find it.

Cheers,

Peter

1 Like

Hi mate, I am the fitbit dev who is currently working on this. Would love to see what you had so I can compare.

Thanks

Have a look at this source code for a start: http://web.aanet.com.au/~summersfamily/garadget_controller_(1.6).zip.

I’m happy to answer questions if it doesn’t make sense.

1 Like

Thanks, after I posted this, I looked for the code online and found a GitHub repo. The pebble code and fitbit code are radically different at first glance.

Thanks for this though. Every little bit helps.

And thank you for taking this on! I’m more than happy to be a guinea pig for you.

• Merg

An update to the fitbit OS app.

I will need beta testers shortly so please let me know via private messaging.

Just an update to this, Fitbit’s current firmware has some bluetooth connectivity issues,

The app is very much being actively developed, almost everyday. expect a beta any day now.

1 Like

The first version, will be released in 24 hours. Sorry for the delay, but its going to be live in the next day.

Quick update:

While fitbit is processing the app for the app store, you can use this link to download the app to your phone.

You must open this link on your smart device which will then open the fitbit app automatically to install the app.

All feedback is appreciated, and please note that this is a WIP beta, some bugs may be experienced, of course I have tried my hardest over the past 4 weeks so that they don’t.

https://gam.fitbit.com/gallery/app/627ca7da-c87b-4443-b0ea-3d41cc54d2c8

Thanks and enjoy.

1 Like

Unfortunately, not working for me. When I first entered my username and password, I had entered the wrong password. Upon opening the app on my watch, it loaded, but as expected it did not connect to my garage. I then corrected the password, but now the app just sits at “Loading” and never finishes.

• Merg

Can you confirm that the phone is connected to the device.

If you “swipe” when the screen is loading, it should show an error message (if any).

Also try to restart the app on the ionic.

My phone is connected to my watch. I have the Fitbit Versa. I have verified and re-verified that I have the correct username and password in my Settings. When I swipe on the screen, the error message tells me to check my username and password.

• Merg

Thats odd. I will push through an update in the next 24 hours that should output a message that will be shown on your watch. I have a ionic and thus all my testing was on that, but I did test on the versa simulator which should be no different to the actual watch. I’ll post an update here as soon as its live.

I have submitted the app for review. Unfortunately while I was able to share a link when the app wasn’t approved, I am unable to share any unapproved updates.

Once it is approved, please try it again and let me know how it goes. Looking at the code, I did fix the never ending “Loading” which was a simple case of me not stopping the animation in case of an error. The communication portion was completed but I simply left the “stop animation” potion outside the code. That is fixed in the next version. I will post again when it is approved. Should be within 72 hours.

Thanks again

The latest build 0.02b was approved and published today.

Running that now should give out an error (if one exists) and remove the loading screen if an error persists.

If you still see a loading screen, swiping would remove it and show an error.

Just to clarify, there are only 2 possible errors: No devices on the account or invalid credentials.

If the phone is unable to connect to the internet, thus the fitbit device is not connected to the internet, then it will keep “loading” and show no devices.

Awaiting feedback now.

It worked!

Thanks,
Merg

Thank you so much for this app! I loaded it onto my wife’s Versa and she is very happy with this!

1 Like