Many of you heard the news about recent attacks on online servers using the network of hacked Internet of Things (IoT) devices.
I just wanted to reassure the users, that Garadget devices were not involved in these events and they are not vulnerable to the kind of security weaknesses that made these attacks possible. Among the reasons why Garadget is not an easy target for security exploits are:
- it doesn’t have default passwords
- it doesn’t listen to incoming connections
- it doesn’t run complex operation system (Linux, Android etc)
- it doesn’t handle high level application protocols (FTP, SSH etc)
- it connects to local network behind the firewall
- open source nature of the project makes it available to the public scrutiny and security audit
Currently there are no known security issues with Garadget devices, apps or online services. In unlikely event any problems are discovered, a fix can be promptly dispatched to the affected devices.
In short, please rest assured that your Garadget remains secure and ready to face any future threats.