Several Garadget users asked for more details about IFTTT integration so I’ll try to shed some light on it.
If you’re not familiar with IFTTT, then you should check them out. They are a great system for integrating products and apps.
Ideally Garagdet should have its dedicated channel, but partnering with IFTTT comes with a substantial annual subscription fee. Since Garadget itself is offered as the product without a monthly bill, a dedicated IFTTT channel is not currently viable. This will change as the sales increase.
There’s still a way to use your Garadget in IFTTT recipes, though it’s a bit of a process. Because Garadget relies on the Particle platform, it is possible to use their IFTTT channel after converting your unit from organization product into generic Particle Photon. By default Garadgets are linked to the organization which allows us to monitor the connection status, push firmware updates and process the events stream from devices.
Additionally to availability of IFTTT integration there are several more pros for leaving organization mode:
- you get additional control of your device essentially turning into a development board
- all Particle development tools and features become available including online editor, web hooks etc.
- one fewer entity with access to your data
Cons for leaving organization mode are:
- native mobile apps will not work with generic account. Web app, wearables apps and smart home integrations are not affected
- push notifications will no longer work as we’re no longer be receiving the event stream from your unit. If needed you can replace and expand them with equivalent IFTTT recipes
- future firmware updates will have to be applied manually
- Send private message listing ID of the device(s) you want moved out of organization mode and wait for confirmation. To verify ownership, you’ll be asked to rename the device(s).
- Download and install Particle’s Tinker app (iOS, Android)
- Register a new account with email that wasn’t involved in Garadget organization and add your device(s) to it
After these steps are completed you’ll be able to connect your new Particle account in IFTTT as a channel for IFs and DOs, monitor variables, listen to events and call functions. The lost Garadget features such as push notifications and location alerts can be replaced with IFTTT recipes. For the information on supported variables, events and functions see the Garadget firmware page at GitHub.
If needed, it is possible to return to organization mode later.
Please post your questions, suggestion and IFTTT integration stories.