Push notification delays and not at all

Like some other users, the push notification on my Note 8 (Android 8.0) was working well until recently. I noticed that there are delays in the push notification. And just today, I am not getting any push notification (but I know that the door has been opened and closed, because my wife went out to shop).

I can still control the door with the app, just not getting notification.

I restarted the service in case the issue is system wide.
Please let me know if you still don’t get any notifications.

Thank you! It worked again when I got home today.

1 Like

The experience I am having on my Note 8 is the lack on notifications when the phone is in locked screen mode (when it sits idle for a period). When I use fingerprint to enter phone, the earlier notifications pop up. When the phone is active and not in screen lock, notifications are fine. I am not sure if it is a phone setting issue or an app permission issue. Even locked, I still get email and text notifications.

Please check out the solution outlined in this post:

Sadly, the steps outlines in that article aren’t working for my Note 8 when it is in locked screen mode. Im not a programmer but I feel that it has to do with permissions as I still get text and email notifications while in this mode. When I unlock the phone, then I get hit with all the notifications that seem to have stored up.

Hello, I recently setup my garage door and integrated it both with Alexa and SmartThings. My complaints are with the Garaget app Alerts. They are never real time, it can take hours before receiving messages. I wouldn’t trust your Garaget app on my Android to know the correct status. However, the SmartThings integration seems to work well. You need to work on your Android Alert mechanism. Messages coming hours later are not acceptable.

Garadget uses standard mechanism for delivering the push notification. If you use a newer Samsung smartphone, this is a known issue not specific to Garadget app.

Thank you for your response… after researching this further, it appears the notification delays are created when Android devices started using communications over the Google cloud.

At the Google Playstore, a search on ‘Push Notifications’ results in many quick fix applets. They allow users to easily customize how often their device is to poll the cloud for new notification messages. There is a setting each for Mobile and Wi-Fi heartbeat settings ranging from every 1 to 15 minutes. Supposedly the Factory setting is every 15 minutes ! I understand the trade-offs are how often you wish Notifications verses battery life. I chose one minute intervals, and this solved my problem so far.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing the solution!