Effectively bricking someone's device due to a personal conflict, bad review, or even a lying review

I hereby retract my criticism. I have no further interest in this discussion.

1 Like

My thought out reply outlining the FTC’s laws regarding this move, an Amazon link to report fraudulent/illegal behavior by the manufacturer, the Reddit posts made by this company, and advice to the original poster was deleted; and the thread locked. Thank goodness you can PM here…or if anyone knows the identity of OP so I can offer some non-legal advice without being muted by a manchild who doesn’t know how to run a company manufacturing open-source hardware that is not much more than an arduino with a wifi shield and laser stuck to it?

I agree, that was a bad judgement, but nothing I say now will be as sexy as the stories being made out of it.

You can find raw but functioning MQTT firmware on github. Please let me know if you have other security concerns not covered in this post.

NEVERMIND. OP was suspended for over 2.5 years for “attitude”. Wow…

I hereby retract my criticism. I have no further interest in this discussion.

2 Likes

EDIT: I am deleting all my posts because, as I say, I have no horse in this race and no interest whatever in participating in the discussion further. I made my point with the Garadget executive(s) and that’s all I need to say.

2nd EDIT: For the record, I am not the aggrieved customer whose device was deactivated. I don’t know them. I do own a Garadget device & was upset to see this news initially posted on Ars Technica. I came to express my personal opinion only.