How do I tell which opener units are compatible?

I’m going to be replacing my garage door opener motor units soon and I want to make sure they are easily compatible with Garadget. I take that I shouldn’t get any unit with Security 2.0+. Is there anything else I need to look out for? I have been searching the site for a “compatible openers” page but haven’t been able to find one.

Thank you for your interest in Garadget.

Anything with a support for a simple wall push button will directly work with our controller. I know it’s not exactly a helpful answer when you are trying to figure out what to buy, but this issue is that most of the models confirmed to be compatible in this board are older openers and may be no longer available.

Pick few models that you like the most and I can look up the setup manuals to determine the compatibility.

I’m looking at these:
Liftmaster 8500
Liftmaster 8355
Genie SilentMax 1200
Genie 2042-TKC QuietLift 800
Sommer Direct Drive
Decko 24503

Liftmaster 8500 - Security+ 2.0 (work-around with additional remote - 883LM, 893LM, 891LM, 823LM, 811LM)
Liftmaster 8355 - Security+ 2.0 (work-around with additional remote - 883LM, 893LM, 891LM, 823LM, 811LM)
Genie SilentMax 1000 & 1200 Series III remote (work-around with additional remote or dry contact adapter) [1][2]
Genie 2042-TKC QuietLift 800 - directly compatible (terminals #1 & #2 - two on the right)
Sommer Direct Drive - directly compatible (terminals #3 & #4)
Decko 24503 - directly compatible (may need to splice into existing wires because it looks like opener has special connector for wall console).

Thanks! I’m not quite sure how you would use that switch to work around it. Is there a page that says which wires you’d need to hook up where? Just trying to judge how difficult it would be…

It’s not very difficult, but involves getting into a remote control so Garadget would “press” its button instead of directly connecting to the opener. You can find some examples of this in these posts.

Thanks a bunch for the help, but finding the right contacts and soldering onto an electronics board does qualify as “difficult” for me. That’s probably what I would need to do since I’m leaning toward the Liftmaster 8500 for one of our doors now. I was able to find a SmartThings app that is able to send open/close commands to MyQ, so I think I’ll go with that.

Fair enough.
You also have an option to mail the remote here and get it back together with Garadget hooked up.

That’s a very generous offer! I think I’ll see how far I can get with the existing smartapp but I’ll take you up on it if doesn’t pan out.

1 Like