Marantec Synergy 380 not controlling opener (Control4)

Hey all. I’m trying to get my new Garadget for Control4 working with my Marantec Synergy 380 opener. I’ve got it attached to Control4 and can control it from my app - when I tell it to open the garage door I hear the relay inside the Garadget clicking. However- the opener doesn’t seem to receive the command and open/close the door.

Here are the steps I’ve taken so far to troubleshoot:

1. I’ve read the Troubleshooting guide and I’ve read the Marantec Synergy and Marantec - Synergy 360 / 370 / 380 posts.
  2. I’ve verified that I’m using pins 3 & 4 on the Synergy 380 - the same pins that are used by my wired wall-mount opener
  3. I’ve tried both of the available connection points on the Garadget
  4. I’ve tried reversing the polarity
  5. I’ve tried connecting just the Garadget to the opener as well as having both the Garadget and the wall mount opener connected at the same time.
  6. I’ve checked the Synergy 380 manual to see if it uses Security+ 2.0 - it does not appear to (I don’t see “Security+”, “EVO” or “MYQ” anywhere in those docs).

In all cases, when I use the app to tell Garadget to open or close the door, I see the lights blink and hear a relay click inside the Garadget, but there’s no response from the opener itself. I’m confident that the Control4 side of this is working correctly because I can tap the garage door icon in the Control4 app and hear the relay going inside the Garadget. I’m also confident that the Synergy 380 is working properly because when I have the wall-mounted opener plugged into pins 3 & 4, it can successfully control the opener.

This leads me to believe that either:

1. Something is wrong with my current wiring setup which is totally possible, but it’s also not that complicated so I’m not sure how I got that wrong.
  2. The Garadget is not sending the correct signal to the opener to control it.
  3. ??

Here are some photos:

Wall mounted opener is wired into pins 3 & 4 - and works correctly:

I swapped out the wall mounted opener for the Garadget here:

Many thanks for any help!

FYI - I disconnected the garadget and brought it inside and plugged it in on my workbench to see if I could get to the web interface (I couldn’t- I’m assuming that I have to be on its internal wifi to get access? haven’t run that down yet) and noticed the following errors in the Lua console:

LUA_ERROR [id: 766][name: Garadget][file: Garage_Softcomplex_Rev1.c4z][method: OnNetworkBindingChanged]: .../var/drivers/c4z/Garage_Softcomplex_Rev1/connections.lua:35: attempt to concatenate local 'b_isBound' (a boolean value)
stack traceback:
	[C]: in function '__concat'
	.../var/drivers/c4z/Garage_Softcomplex_Rev1/connections.lua:35: in function 'OnNetworkConnectionChanged'
	...ge_Softcomplex_Rev1/common/c4_device_connection_base.lua:508: in function <...ge_Softcomplex_Rev1/common/c4_device_connection_base.lua:503>
NetConBase:Initialize
LUA_ERROR [id: 766][name: Garadget][file: Garage_Softcomplex_Rev1.c4z][method: OnNetworkBindingChanged]: .../var/drivers/c4z/Garage_Softcomplex_Rev1/connections.lua:35: attempt to concatenate local 'b_isBound' (a boolean value)
stack traceback:
	[C]: in function '__concat'
	.../var/drivers/c4z/Garage_Softcomplex_Rev1/connections.lua:35: in function 'OnNetworkConnectionChanged'
	...ge_Softcomplex_Rev1/common/c4_device_connection_base.lua:508: in function <...ge_Softcomplex_Rev1/common/c4_device_connection_base.lua:503>

@garadget any chance you have some ideas here? :pray:t5:

Bharat,
I would really discourage from doing things like “I’ve tried both of the available connection points”. It’s a matter of time before this practice damages the equipment or causes fire. The correct connection has “g” next to it on the plastic case and shown in the installation video on the product page:

Garadget uses dry contacts to control the opener. To confirm it is going to work with the opener you can momentarily short (electrically connect) the two terminals used for the wall console connection and that should cause the door to open/close. If that doesn’t happen then either the opener is not dry contact capable (will need an adaptor) or the contact is bad.

Based on the documentation the connections to the opener should be the terminals 4 & 3:
The polarity of the connection to Garadget is not important.

The wifi/web interface is only available in the setup mode (shown early in the video).

Thanks for the guidance, @garadget. I’ve got it working now. What’s weird is that I went through the same exact steps that I did last time, but this time it worked. That worries me a little bit since I don’t know what changed from the attempt, but at least it’s working now. Many thanks!

1 Like

Good Evening,

bharat, we have our first client with a Marantec Garage Door Opener, would we be able to chat, I have a few questions I would love some help with.

Happy to help, but I’m really not sure how I got it working! Ie, I followed the instructions and it didn’t work-- then I tried again and it worked. Anyway, fire away with your questions and I’ll answer what I can. How about we talk here in the forum so that others can benefit from the Q&A?

@bharat @garadget Hi there, I’m running into the same problem. I’ve read and heard that apparently multiple devices can’t be wired in at the same time on Marantec garage door openers. It seems to be true based on my experience because this is happening to me now.

I’m trying to use your smart garage door opener in addition to a Linear MDR/U that I’ve paired up with universal remotes. My problem specifically is that through a garage door repair, I now have two different brands of garage door openers and instead of having multiple clickers and two different apps, I wanted them to all be on the same app and use the same remotes.

I also opted to purchase the Marantec wireless wall button control so I wouldn’t have to have the wall button wired in because that was causing the initial issue. But now it seems that having garadget and and MDR/U connected at the same time yields the same.

Has anyone found a workaround for this or heard of this?

Do I understand correctly that you use a wireless remote for the opener as a dry contact adapter to avoid connecting additional wired remotes/adapters to the opener? This should work if you wired them correctly.

I will need help understanding “garadget and and MDR/U connected at the same time” part.

So apparently if you have any other device like a smart garage door opener hub and the wall module control station wired in at the same time, the Marantec is unresponsive to remote(s), wall control, and smart hub.

I’ve read this a few times on other forums and I can confirm this is the case. I’ve tried several different brands of smart garage door hubs and had them wired in terminals three and four at the same time as the control station on the wall. Marantec operator, at least in this case a synergy 380, only becomes responsive again after removing the wired wall control terminal from ports 3 and 4.

One could get around this by using the Marantec wireless wall control station, although that lacks the vacation lock mode button.

Essentially, my issue is now that I have two different brands of garage door operators, it’s proving extremely difficult to get them working on same smart platform, in addition to having the same remote because who wants two different remotes.

If you are connecting modules with a dry contact control (such as garadget or relay based home automation modules) then the opener has no way of knowing anything is connected because normally the contacts are open (control lines are not connected to each other or anything else).

If connecting the dry contact controller to the opener immediately causes some sort of effect such as existing wall consoles stopping working or door opening/closing then you are either not wiring it correctly or the issue is caused by the disruption of the existing wiring.

EDIT: it is entirely possible that there is a terminology disconnect with what you are describing and what I’m hearing. E.g. some users refer dry contact adapters for Liftmaster’s Security+ 2.0 as “garadget” because it came from garadget website, even though that’s the name of a different product. Some don’t fully understand “dry contact” term etc. I can look at the specifics if you give the models of the products (referred in your post as “smart garage door hubs”) you attempted connecting.

Thank you for that. No no, I’m using dry contact at the term for when a contact is isolated from a power source.

As far as the wiring goes, I’m only connecting as per the included instructions and many YouTube vids. Terminals 3 & 4 are usually wired to the wall control button for a garage door and any smart garage door hub usually gets wired into those same number terminals with the wall control button at the same time.

However, with the Marantec Synergy 380, it seems it’s impossible to have more than one device (wall control, smart hub, etc) wired in at the same time. Doing so causes the unit to become unresponsive until one device is removed and the unit is power cycled.

This issue does not occur on my LiftMaster

Hey all. I’ve been getting notified of updates on this thread and have been lurking. Not sure if it’s helpful, but I wanted to pitch in and show you my setup, which is now working. Apologies if I use the wrong terminology here, but I’ve got 2 devices hooked into my Marantec Synergy 380

Here you can see the white wire here (which goes to the wall remote) and the black wire which goes to the Garadget are both connected to Terminals 3 & 4.

Here you can see that the black wire goes to the Garadget:

This is my wall remote. You can’t see the wires because they are plumbed behind the drywall.

I’m hoping that this helps demonstrate that you can connect two devices to Terminals 3 & 4.

Note that actually getting it working was a weird process where at first it didn’t work and then I kept trying different configurations and finally got it working. It was never clear to me why it wasn’t working originally and why it started working after I fiddled with it. But at least it’s evidence that it’s possible.

Hey there @bharat, and thanks for the response. How old is your Marantec unit? I’m wondering if it’s something with a newer production. But according to your photos and setup, when I’ve tried this, the Marantec unit is just unresponsive to wall control and remotes.

It’s reassuring knowing that you faced somewhat of the same issue as me. When you say fiddled with it though, did you twist both wires for each terminal together or just cram them both in?

IIRC, the red striped wire from wall control goes into terminal 4 while the other goes in 3. For the smart device, the brands mostly all say polarity doesn’t matter in this case for their product.

I’ve also heard some people mention that Marantec has a “sleep mode”. Have you heard anything about this?

I don’t know how old my unit is, but I’m guessing it’s less than 4 years old since we bought our home as a total renovation. Unfortunately I did this work over a year ago and don’t clearly remember what I did. That said I don’t think that I twisted the wires together, I think I just crammed them in, and I’m hesitant to take it apart to find out :grinning:

I haven’t heard about sleep mode. If it were me, I’d try this:

1. Unplug all wires from T3/4
  2. Plug in the Garadget and get it working
  3. Try adding in the wall remote and test both of them
  4. If it doesn’t work, go back to step 1 and reverse the polarity of the wires of one of the devices
  5. If after trying all 3 polarities doesn’t work, go back to step 1 and swap the order of devices.

After doing those steps you’ll have tried all polarities and all device orders and at that point I think you’ll have tried all the things that I tried…

1 Like