Marantec Synergy 380 not controlling opener (Control4)

Hey all. I’m trying to get my new Garadget for Control4 working with my Marantec Synergy 380 opener. I’ve got it attached to Control4 and can control it from my app - when I tell it to open the garage door I hear the relay inside the Garadget clicking. However- the opener doesn’t seem to receive the command and open/close the door.

Here are the steps I’ve taken so far to troubleshoot:

1. I’ve read the Troubleshooting guide and I’ve read the Marantec Synergy and Marantec - Synergy 360 / 370 / 380 posts.
  2. I’ve verified that I’m using pins 3 & 4 on the Synergy 380 - the same pins that are used by my wired wall-mount opener
  3. I’ve tried both of the available connection points on the Garadget
  4. I’ve tried reversing the polarity
  5. I’ve tried connecting just the Garadget to the opener as well as having both the Garadget and the wall mount opener connected at the same time.
  6. I’ve checked the Synergy 380 manual to see if it uses Security+ 2.0 - it does not appear to (I don’t see “Security+”, “EVO” or “MYQ” anywhere in those docs).

In all cases, when I use the app to tell Garadget to open or close the door, I see the lights blink and hear a relay click inside the Garadget, but there’s no response from the opener itself. I’m confident that the Control4 side of this is working correctly because I can tap the garage door icon in the Control4 app and hear the relay going inside the Garadget. I’m also confident that the Synergy 380 is working properly because when I have the wall-mounted opener plugged into pins 3 & 4, it can successfully control the opener.

This leads me to believe that either:

1. Something is wrong with my current wiring setup which is totally possible, but it’s also not that complicated so I’m not sure how I got that wrong.
  2. The Garadget is not sending the correct signal to the opener to control it.
  3. ??

Here are some photos:

Wall mounted opener is wired into pins 3 & 4 - and works correctly:

I swapped out the wall mounted opener for the Garadget here:

Many thanks for any help!

FYI - I disconnected the garadget and brought it inside and plugged it in on my workbench to see if I could get to the web interface (I couldn’t- I’m assuming that I have to be on its internal wifi to get access? haven’t run that down yet) and noticed the following errors in the Lua console:

LUA_ERROR [id: 766][name: Garadget][file: Garage_Softcomplex_Rev1.c4z][method: OnNetworkBindingChanged]: .../var/drivers/c4z/Garage_Softcomplex_Rev1/connections.lua:35: attempt to concatenate local 'b_isBound' (a boolean value)
stack traceback:
	[C]: in function '__concat'
	.../var/drivers/c4z/Garage_Softcomplex_Rev1/connections.lua:35: in function 'OnNetworkConnectionChanged'
	...ge_Softcomplex_Rev1/common/c4_device_connection_base.lua:508: in function <...ge_Softcomplex_Rev1/common/c4_device_connection_base.lua:503>
NetConBase:Initialize
LUA_ERROR [id: 766][name: Garadget][file: Garage_Softcomplex_Rev1.c4z][method: OnNetworkBindingChanged]: .../var/drivers/c4z/Garage_Softcomplex_Rev1/connections.lua:35: attempt to concatenate local 'b_isBound' (a boolean value)
stack traceback:
	[C]: in function '__concat'
	.../var/drivers/c4z/Garage_Softcomplex_Rev1/connections.lua:35: in function 'OnNetworkConnectionChanged'
	...ge_Softcomplex_Rev1/common/c4_device_connection_base.lua:508: in function <...ge_Softcomplex_Rev1/common/c4_device_connection_base.lua:503>

@garadget any chance you have some ideas here? :pray:t5:

Bharat,
I would really discourage from doing things like “I’ve tried both of the available connection points”. It’s a matter of time before this practice damages the equipment or causes fire. The correct connection has “g” next to it on the plastic case and shown in the installation video on the product page:

Garadget uses dry contacts to control the opener. To confirm it is going to work with the opener you can momentarily short (electrically connect) the two terminals used for the wall console connection and that should cause the door to open/close. If that doesn’t happen then either the opener is not dry contact capable (will need an adaptor) or the contact is bad.

Based on the documentation the connections to the opener should be the terminals 4 & 3:
The polarity of the connection to Garadget is not important.

The wifi/web interface is only available in the setup mode (shown early in the video).

Thanks for the guidance, @garadget. I’ve got it working now. What’s weird is that I went through the same exact steps that I did last time, but this time it worked. That worries me a little bit since I don’t know what changed from the attempt, but at least it’s working now. Many thanks!

1 Like