Encryption key fix (fast cyan blinks with occasional red)

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fb15cbac9e8>

If your Garadget is unable to connect with LED fast blinking cyan with an occasional red, then its encryption key needs to be refreshed. Please contact Garadget via a PM (personal message) to arrange the repair.

Those who are comfortable with technology are welcome to attempt the process at home. It only takes a minute, but the software takes longer to setup first time. The relevant discussion can be found in the Particle community board.

You’ll need driver, command line utility and public encryption key.

The commands to run:

dfu-util -d 2b04:d006 -a 1 -s 2082 -D cloud_public.der
particle keys server cloud_public.der
particle keys new photon
particle keys load photon.der
particle keys send [device id] photon.pub.pem

where [device id] is 24 character string identifying the device, it that can be found in the settings screen of the client apps or by running particle identify command while device is in the listening mode.

Please post your questions and help requests relevant to above process in this thread.

Cannot see WiFi network
Garadget iOS App Showing Offline
Unable to re-setup device
Unable to re-setup device
Help Troubleshooting Offline Error

I am having the same issue, first started occurring the other day. I went through the post above (Encryption key fix (fast cyan blinks with occasional red)) and I got ‘permission denied’ at the last stage. PSB the full output.

dfu-util: Invalid DFU suffix signature
dfu-util: A valid DFU suffix will be required in a future dfu-util release!!!
Opening DFU capable USB device…
ID 2b04:d008
Run-time device DFU version 011a
Claiming USB DFU Interface…
Setting Alternate Setting #1
Determining device status: state = dfuIDLE, status = 0
dfuIDLE, continuing
DFU mode device DFU version 011a
Device returned transfer size 4096
DfuSe interface name: "DCT Flash "
Downloading to address = 0x00000022, size = 608
Download [=========================] 100% 608 bytes
Download done.
File downloaded successfully
attempting to add a new public key for device 5**************3
Error sending public key to server: Permission Denied
Make sure your device is in DFU mode (blinking yellow), and that your computer is online.
Error - undefined

It then started blinking green, fast. I searched around as you do, and ended up running the following commands, which seemed to change the way it behaves (at least the LED blink sequence):

particle keys server cloud_public.der particle keys new photon particle keys load photon.der particle keys send photon.pub.pem

This seemed to (sort of) work, but upon reboot it now flashes cyan fast, then yellow slow 3 times, then repeats, occasionally blinking fast green between every few sequences. I have attempted to add my device via the normal method via the app but no joy, I get the following message:

'Setup Completed
Your device has been successfully claimed to your account, however it is offline. If the device was already claimed before this setup then the Wi-Fi connection may have failed, and you should try setup again. ’

This is the same message I have got since attempting to get this back online again.

You made a great progress with the key update and you’re almost there.
To resolve the permission issue, please try following:

particle device remove [device id]

then as previously attempted

particle keys send [device id] photon.pub.pem

and after that

particle device add [device id]

if you encounter any issues with these steps, please don’t hesitate to reach out to me

Thanks very much for that - falling at the last hurdle. When I run the last step I get this:

Claiming device 5{}3
Failed to claim device, server said: Device is not connected

I have tried this in dfu mode and after a reset.

When I reset, I still get the cyan/yellow/green flashing light combo

UPDATE: I tried to re-enroll the device with the app, and it gets most of the way through, eventually ending in this message:

Setup process failed at claiming your particle device. If your Particle device LED is blinking in blue or green this means that you provided the wrong Wi-Fi credentials, please try setup process again.

I now am back where I started with a flashing cyan/red light, except this time the laser is working.

Thanks for the update.
Please try repeating the encryption key fix steps so you complete the whole process in one session without any errors. You can start with removing the device from account to avoid the permission issue closer to the end. Please let me know how this goes.

Already tried it a couple of times. When I try it again I get:

particle device remove 5[]3
Are you sure? Please Type yes to continue: yes
releasing device 5[]3
Didn’t remove the device Permission Denied

I might add that I’ve tried the last stage during a re-enrollment on the app, to ensure the device is actually connected. It passes every step aside from the ‘Claiming Device’ step at the end, whereby it starts the cyan flashing LED again.

I checked on the server and your device is already removed from the account. Please give the rest of the process another run and if that doesn’t get it online, please send your Garadget back for warranty repair/replacement.

I’ve done it a bunch of times already - it’s definitely not working. It’s very frustrating because the device works, connects to the Wifi, but doesn’t like the server connection for some reason. Surely there must be another way of figuring out why this is not working without having to send it back to the US (I am in the UK).

Is there a way to do a complete factory reset?

Maybe there’s a version of the firmware I could flash back to which would work?

Sending it back is going to be a very last resort. What’s the use of something being open source if you have to send it back for repair when the software fails?

Shipping back wouldn’t be a big of a deal domestically, but I agree it’s a bit more of a hassle when crossing the ocean is involved. Let’s try a remote access session (more details in PM).

Same problem. How do I go about exchanging device?