To level set, are these your higher priorities/values:
- From smartphones: open/close garage door
- From smartphones: Remotely check garage door open/close status
- Integrate with…
- Provide an open interface
As just one more data element for you to consider, this too is important to me:
- Let me know if my garage door is left open (and optionally automatically close is after x delay or time)
- This hardware/software solution be something my wife finds acceptable for her use
I would encourage you to consider adding the automatic close after x delay or x schedule to the core mobile app settings (with a simple enable/disable when expecting workers/guests). Please don’t require me to set up IFTTT account/settings, explain to my wife how to go somewhere else to enable/disable etc. I consider this a core feature and not something that should require integrators or home automation solutions to add this value.
Basically, if you want wide consumer adoption I believe you have to make this simple to define/manage from the mobile interface.
As an aside:
My reason for limited access accounts is for family and service providers to have basic open/close functionality without access to settings etc.
Anxious to test you Android app!